Follow “Flowers…uncut” easier with emails delivered straight to your inbox whenever we have something new to say.
We have asked the creator of our videos to tell their story about our cooperation and the results. Robin Schmidt from Elskid.com talks about his experience with brand videos and Arena Flowers:
“Dubstep is defined as “tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns, clipped samples, and occasional vocals” so, for an online florist to buy into a viral marketing concept built around this relatively new form of dance music requires something of a leap of faith. Fortunately, that’s how some of the best virals come about, that peculiar juxtaposition of two incongruous elements. In other words, a mashup.
Myself and my colleague Simon Wan come from the world of music videos and extreme sports but we’ve also spent a lot of time working with brands to help them express their personality through moving image. This is a slightly frustrating exercise sometimes as companies have an idea of what they’re about which is quite a long way removed from how their customers perceive them. Hence the awkward, cheesy corporate videos that have come to define the genre. We tend to think a little bit differently, particularly when it comes to consumer brands and, given our core competence is not filmmaking but entertainment, that’s usually the first place we start. The first meeting we had with Arena you could tell these guys had a much less restricted idea of their place in the world than most companies and it wasn’t hard to sell them on the idea of just doing something cool. For no other reason than it was just cool.
Dubstep “X” is a familiar title on YouTube with all manner of well-known commercial properties being given the dubstep treatment but we’d never seen it done with flowers before. Flower advertising has always consisted of beautiful, slightly hazy shots of the products looking all fresh and sweet and lovely, with some touchy feely music and a female voiceover. We were aiming this campaign squarely at the predominately male audience making their once-a-year Valentine’s day purchase. So, doing a grimy, music video inspired dubstep viral was a very exciting prospect.
We shot the video in about three hours in an underground car park in Hitchin, using minimal lighting, a small super 35 camera and a skateboard. The laser effects were all added in afterwards and that’s really all there was to it. Our poor sample flowers were completely destroyed by the end, so much so that we had to reshoot our pack shot a few days later. You have to make some concessions to the world of traditional advertising! In dance music a ‘fresh’ beat is one that has a very strong groove to it. We felt that was the perfect descriptor for Arena’s product so it was a match made in heaven.
And that’s how we delivered an experience for Arena Flowers.”
See more videos from Arena Flowers here.
Watch our brand new video; Amazing Red Roses Farm In The Netherlands“ and have a glimpse into one of our supplier’s greenhouses and a brief insight into how our luxury “Red Naomi” roses are selected.
Our bouquets are unique! Trust the professionals with your flower needs – although we can’t guarantee the sunglasses! Watch our new video “Dancing Flowers”
It is very difficult to be a good mother in the 21st century. Children have taken it upon themselves to become raised by the soft soothing hand of the Internet. In times of need they search Google for advice, when they want to learn about the birds and the bees they download countless gigabytes of the hardest pornography and when they need pocket money they send out countless fraudulent e-mails claiming to be descended from Nigerian royalty. It doesn’t help that TV is filled with inspiring mothers who are constantly making profound heartfelt speeches, when in reality nobody in the real world has ever made a speech.
However, there are a few methods you can use to ensure that you aren’t the worst mother out there.
1) BECOME GOOD AT SKATEBOARDING – The key to winning control of your children is respect. This can be done through extreme discipline and long term psychological manipulation, but it is much easier and quicker to simply learn how to skateboard. Children like skateboards, they respect skaters such as Tony Hawk and Marty McFly. By picking your children up from school on a skateboard, whilst wearing ill-fitting clothing and talking in moronic turns of phrases, you will appear the coolest mum in town.
2) DON’T GET INVOLVED WITH THE RAISING OF YOUR CHILDREN – You can easily avoid being a bad mother by not being a mother at all. You can’t lose if you don’t play the game. I am not suggesting adoption, but rather that you shift most of your parental responsibilities to the grandparents. Your own parents will have more experience at parenting. They’ll know what works and what doesn’t, and they’ll be familiar with parenting tricks such as skateboarding.
3) FAKE YOUR DEATH – The hardest part of any child’s life is losing their mother. The best part of any child’s life is when their mother comes back from the dead. Your child will not want to waste a miraculous second chance and will become more loving and respectful of you.
4) LOSE AT ARM WRESTLING – It is important for your child to grow up with high self esteem. Self esteem can be easily altered by tricking your children into believing that they are not as pathetic as they really are. To maximise self esteem you should be seen lifting a heavy object such as an olden day television set just before any arm wrestling takes place.
5) HAVE MANY SEXUAL PARTNERS – This one is only applicable to divorced mothers. By bringing home a different man every night you will be exposing your children to wide range of father figures, each one with his own unique ideas, worldview and cultural background. This will help your child to grow up to be well rounded.
6) KEEP YOUR ROMANTIC POETRY HIDDEN – No child likes to find a romantic poem written by their mother. Seeing their mother’s bare emotions can leave a child scarred for life. If you have to write a romantic poem you must ensure that it is kept in a secure and secret place, such as the underneath of a bed or the top of a cupboard.